Tuesday 10 March 2015

From mountains to mezquitas!

As you can probably tell from the title of this post, I have decided to talk purely about travelling today! I know that the whole point of a modern languages year abroad is to learn languages but today I am going to talk about how weekends of sightseeing can also be just as valuable as the days in the work or study placements if they are used wisely.

Just from having read the title you are probably now wondering where on earth I spent my weekend based on how exciting it all sounds in the title. And I am pleased to inform you that I really did have some exciting adventures!

On saturday, I set off bright and early on a coach trip to the historical andalusian city of Rhonda! This was exciting for me firstly because I wanted to see the beauty of this city that I had heard all about and secondly because I did not know any of the other erasmus students on the trip due to the fact that I do not study at the university of sevilla. It was therefore a chance to see another part of Andalucia as well as a chance to meet some more new people. And I was not disappointed! Rhonda was one of the most beautiful places I have seen! Located in the middle of the mountains, it's dramatic scenery and historic charm make you feel like you have stepped back in time! During the day I managed to visit all of the monuments including the ancient puente and the impressive plaza de torros which really topped off the day!

As well as the unforgettable sights in Rhonda, I was also very lucky to make a new friend from Mexico! As I always tell you, one of the things I really love about being a linguist is the way in which I am able to meet so many people from all over the world whilst on my travels! For this reason, it was fascinating to talk to the mexican girl all day as I learnt a lot abour a culture that I have never experienced myself at the same time as putting my spanish into practice with someone who could not speak a word of english. In fact, I don't think there were many moments when I spoke in english on that trip!

Even though I was very tired after getting back to sevilla late on saturday night, I still went off to Cordoba on sunday morning to continue the weekends adventures! There is never a quiet moment with me!

Many people have asked me whether I preferred Rhonda or Cordoba as a place but I can honestly say that they are so different that making a comparison would be difficult. However, from a tourists point of view I can tell you that they are both beautiful and very interesting but I would say that the natural beauty of Rhonda is hard to beat. Cordoba has an incredible selection of impressive buildings such as the well known mezquita which are simply out of this world whilst Rhonda provides stunning landscape and mountainous views due to it's surprising positioning on the edge of two cliffs.

So all in all I had a very exciting yet productive weekend as I got to see even more of the beauty of Andalusia whilst putting my language into practice to a great extent! I also got to learn about a culture that I was not expecting to encounter whilst in spain so that really topped it all off :)

I am going to leave it here for today as you have probably heard enough from me for now. However, please do take a look at my photos on the 'photos-sevilla/andalucia' page of the the blog to get an even better insight into the adventures of the weekend that has just passed!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment