Monday 18 May 2015

A Weekend Of Tourism Followed By An Unexpected Surprise!

Hello again everybody!

Those regular readers among you will most probably be either biting your finger nails nervously waiting to hear about the unexpected surprise  that I have in store of you as you probably can see by now that life is never boring when it comes to my adventures abroad. In fact, life was certainly never boring for me when I was in the UK either as I always seem to manage to get myself into the most unusual situations (ask my friends from Bangor if you don't believe me!). So if you want to find out about the most recent occurrence in my life in Sevilla, I would advise you to sit down and brace yourselves as it is probably something that you are not expecting, hence why I have worded it 'unexpected surprise' in the title of this post :)

Anyway, to start with, I am going to tell you a little bit about last weekend as my friend Catrin from Bangor came to visit Sevilla with two of her new friends from Alicante so I spent a large part of the weekend enjoying the touristic side of Sevilla with them. It was a lovely weekend because they managed to visit all of the main tourist sights and we ate some very nice Spanish food in some very nice locations including along the Triana riverbank. I also managed to practice both my French and my Spanish throughout the weekend as Catrin's friends are from Morocco and Mexico and are therefore native speakers in the languages. It was lovely to get to practice both languages at the same time and also to get to meet them as they are both very nice and we had a good time looking around Sevilla together!

After a full but fun weekend, I went back to work as usual on the Monday morning. One of the most amazing things here in Sevilla is that I never find it difficult to get out of bed to go to work because I am enjoying it so much! The internship is very interesting as I have a lot of different tasks to do that involve using English, Spanish, and French so I am getting a very good linguistic experience from it which is very rewarding. I am also getting on really well with the people that I work with and have been made to feel at home right from the beginning so I couldn't wish for anything more! In fact, I am starting to feel very emotional every time I think about the fact that my last day working in the office is three weeks on Friday as I know that it is going to be very hard to say goodbye to the lovely people that I have met and to leave this incredible experience behind.

However, before you get really annoyed with me for not getting down to the so called 'unexpected surprise', I will get to the main point of this post and tell you all about it. Basically, the week was going really well as it always does in Sevilla until Thursday last week when I went for an innocent walk by the river to stretch my legs after being in the office all day. However, I not only managed to stretch my leg, but ended up getting my foot stuck in a pothole and fracturing my ankle (luckily only a minor fracture but still painful!). After this little incident, I took myself off in a taxi to get my foot checked over and then was presented with a pair of crutches to use throughout the next week or so. I am going to admit that I was quite upset and stressed that this had happened but as with everything challenging that happens on the year abroad, I came to realize that I just need to get on with it and focus on getting my ankle to heal soon. I am also very lucky to have such caring and helpful work colleagues and flatmates who are making this situation much more manageable than it could potentially be. I will always be thankful for that!

So that is my unexpected surprise! I am now hobbling around on crutches which is rather inconvenient but I am getting slightly better with them and am hoping to be off of them asap so that I will be able to get back to my travelling and river walks once again. And I now have less than four weeks left in Spain so need to be making the most of that time rather than being stuck on crutches! So for that reason, I hope that the next time I write a blog post I will be as good as new and back to the crazy lifestyle that I was leading before :)

Hasta luego chicos!

No comments:

Post a Comment